Thursday, July 14, 2011

Traveling Back in Time


So, I happen to get on Peacefulstorms this week to keep updated with all the fun and excitement going on with this year's PYC and I can't help but reminiscence back to my very first camp! I look at those pictures on that website, and realize, when I was a camper, most of the those kids were babies, toddlers or some of them may not have been born yet! Wow, time does really fly!!

My first camp was back in 1998 --13 years ago! And it was not on God's property but over in Guthier, Oklahoma... in very rustic looking dorm, with written confetti all over the walls. I was 14 years old. Looking at those peacefulstorm pictures made me think off all the events that happened in those packed filled 2 weeks. All the new friends I have made, kept in touch with, but also the ones that left the church. It saddens me that a lot of them are not here today and obeying God. But, its neat to cogitate on the ones that stayed with it and now are being blessed tremendously to this very day. Camp in 1998 was a blast because our dorm became so close. We all started out very quiet and shy towards one another. But once a few days broke out, our dorm transformed within two weeks and we won "Girl's dorm of the Session." The experience was just so edifying. My counselor at the time was Erin Macdonald (was Leap) an Assistant Kristine Orleans (was Klotz). Both very down to earth and enthusiastic about teaching us to live according to God's way of life. They helped me to come more out of my shell too. I was super shy back then. It was such a wonderful time meeting people and getting to know the campers.

The activities at PYC 98 were pretty much the same as they are today. But, we also had water skiing as one of our sports -- and I actually enjoyed it! Cycling, on the other hand, was a bit of challenge for me that year and ended up falling off my bike and rolled off the winding dirt trail. Thankful, that I did not get seriously injured or hurt. I will never forget how terrified I was. The trail comprised of steep hills, tall trees, massive rocks and Oklahoma red clay cliffs. But, it was still an fun filled experience that I will not forget. Softball, I would say was my favorite sport. I still enjoy it to this very day. I have been looking through my old journal notebook, written around the time of camp, and this is what I said, " Camp teaches you about family. When Christ returns we will all be together in unity. Camp was so much fun but it went by so fast. But, I am excited I had this chance to go and hope there will be many more in the future."

Yeah, it was definitely something I will not forget and pray for those teenagers out at headquarters to really make camp their all. To not give up when obstacles come along the way and to put God first and foremost in their life!.. Because things are a lot harder than they were 13 years ago! So, keep up the fiery vision.

Also, while going through some of my old camp photos and written journals, I can't help but find some childhood family photos that I decide to happily share. I like to occasionally look at old photos as a way of reflecting back into time and discerning all the past memorable experiences we have been through in all good times! Enjoy!










No comments:

Post a Comment